A pair of 18th century Italian white painted and parcel gilt mirrors

MTS206b.jpg
MTS206.jpg
MTS206a.jpg
MTS206b.jpg
MTS206.jpg
MTS206a.jpg

A pair of 18th century Italian white painted and parcel gilt mirrors

0.00

A pair of late 18th century white painted and polychrome mirrors with elaborately carved and pierced cresting’s framing a bust of a man and a woman on top of rectangular framed older plates framed with carved rose petals.

A similar Rococo mirror was ascribed to originate from Brunswick. However the provenance of these mirrors is uncertain. Many similar examples originate from South Germany and the aesthetic is particularly characteristic of a group of carvers, designers and gilders working in and around Munich in the 1760s, such as designer Johann Michael Hoppenhaupt The Elder. This group of craftsmen and designers was fuelled by work on the Schloss Nymphenburg whose owner, Maximillian III of Bavaria, remodelled much of the palace’s interior, creating one of the finest examples of rococo interior design in the world. His love of porcelain led him to found the Nymphenburg porcelain which produced pieces reminiscent of Chinese blanc de Chine. Maximillian's patronage of this delicate porcelain work, characterized by polychrome designs on a white ground with delicate piercing and gilt work created a fashion and aesthetic that influenced many areas of design, as can be seen here in the colour scheme and fine pierced carving of these Rococo mirrors.

German, circa 1780

Height: 39 1/2 in; 100.5 cm
Width: 18 in; 46 cm

Add To Cart